Lily’s First Birthday Cake Smash!
Lily: 1 Year Old
As everyone knows, the best part of having a birthday is the cake. Since Lily needs to sleep [and for our sake], we decided to go with a little mini birthday cake and let her smash the heck out of it. Great photos and little consumption, win for everyone! Tanya put together a little multi-colored pound cake and I tried my best to decorate it. Since Lily has never really seen a cake before she wasn’t quite sure what to do, and then that deep down urge to destroy came out and she went to work. Here’s the recipe for all you diy’ers.
Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 pound (3 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 4 sticks softened unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 large, room-temperature eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 5-by-9-inch loaf pans. Combine all-purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, for 8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla extract.
- Lightly beat eggs, and add to mixer bowl in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated. Add food coloring! Divide batter between pans. Tap on counter to distribute; smooth tops.
- Bake until a tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.
Finished product! It is now fit to be destroyed!
In typical form Lily went for the candle first, not the cake. Good girl?
[gravityform id=2 name=ContactUs! ajax=true]